[Fedora-livecd-list] Refactoring livecd-creator and providing an API

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Nov 27 12:53:57 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 16:40 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Jeremy Katz wrote:
>>> The reason why this is done is because this is _explicitly_ an
>>> abstraction.  The fact that it uses yum today doesn't mean that it'll
>>> use yum tomorrow.  Even if we continue to use yum, it makes it so that
>>> it's possible to change out the yum API (which is likely to be occurring
>>> sooner or later) while not having to make changes to the interfaces of
>>> livecd-tools.
>>>
>>> And yes, I feel very strongly that this is the only way to be able to
>>> have consistency in bits built.  Otherwise, every user that makes use of
>>> the functionality has to implement their own equivalent depsolving,
>>> etc.

I didn't want to comment on this before but you leave me little choice:

"Has to" is something completely different then "could". No-one even
suggests you should remove any yum objects or actions from imgcreate.
Instead I'm asking whether you could provide the means to have
InstallPackages() use another yum object then it's own.

>> OK, we'll just have to override this function then.
>
> I know we've been around and around on this, but I really still don't
> see your hang-up over having your own hand-constructed yum object rather
> than making use of what's created, used, etc by the API.  And I think
> that's the crux of your other comments is that you want things so that
> you can have your own yum object.

I could try and tell you again it is due to the fact that we do things
different. I could also try and tell you that there is multiple,
different ways in which for example package selection from a kickstart
package manifest could be performed or in which you resolve the
dependencies, but you know that. You also know Revisor provides the
options to the user to choose a specific type of behaviour -we've told
you many times before.

The other way around though: What is so much better about the yum object
  in, or the API itself, that makes you not want to take into
consideration using a yum object provided by external tools?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip