[Fedora-livecd-list] Cannot find root file system!

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Oct 19 21:00:45 UTC 2007

offset wrote:
> Newbie alert :)
>
> Looking to get up-to-speed on Fedora LiveCD so I can custom build my own security tools that I can boot from cd, rather than lug around my laptop everywhere.  I did see the Security fedora livecd wiki, so I'll have to poke around there as well.
>
> I'm getting the following errors when booting the livecd iso that I created in vmware.
>
> - - - cut - - -
> udevd[297]: add_to_rules: the 'device' link is deprecated and will be removed from a future kernel, please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/00-cdlabel.rules:1
>
> --------------------------------------
> WARNING: Cannot find root file system!
> --------------------------------------
>
> - - - cut - - -
>
> if I add root=/dev/sr0 to the boot line, the cd boots fine, so I'm curious as how to fix the udevd error.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the problem, but can someone
explain these hardcoded(?) numbers to me?  This is about the only thing
in mayflower that I don't really understand-

(I.e. where can I go to find documentation on these sysfs types, so I
can feel convinced that these lists of numbers (0,7,14,,4,5) are
complete/correct)

echo "ACTION==\"add\", SUBSYSTEM==\"scsi_device\",
SYSFS{type}==\"0|7|14\", RUN+
=\"/sbin/modprobe sd_mod\"" >> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-modprobe.rules
echo "ACTION==\"add\", SUBSYSTEM==\"scsi_device\",
SYSFS{type}==\"[45]\", RUN+=\
"/sbin/modprobe sr_mod\"" >> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-modprobe.rules

-dmc