[Fedora-livecd-list] Building a LiveCD

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Sep 6 11:24:59 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 14:56 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I follow this list and have read the README and Wiki, but
>> I still have questions.  To start, is there any documentation
>> other than the sources (the README and Wiki are pretty sparse).
>> Most of my questions are detailed and not x86 mainline :-)
>
> The README is really the extent of the current docs...  patches
> cheerfully accepted :-)  And there should be kickstart syntax docs
> floating around, although I don't remember where off-hand...  I'll try
> to remember to ask clumens tomorrow

Once I learn enough to make such comments/changes, I'll see what
I can do to help improve the docs.

>> For example, I'd like to use my own local repositories (I
>> work with custom systems that aren't 100% in the public trees).
>> How do I modify the kickstart file to handle this?
>
> Repositories to use are defined by the 'repo' lines.  You can use
> something like
>   repo --name=foo --baseurl=http://some.web.site.com/path/to/my/repo
>   repo --name=bar --baseurl=file:///path/to/a/local/one
>   repo --name=baz --mirrorlist=http://some.site.com/path/to/mirrorlist
>
> Baseurl and mirrorlist are used exactly as they are with yum.

This helped and I was able to build an image.  Sadly, it failed
with the oft-reported problem of not finding the CDROM root device
(no CDROM driver in image?)  I need to investigate this some.

BTW - I'm testing this on a Mac Mini and also iBook.  Once I get
it working, I'll move on to my custom hardware.

>> Also, I'm interested in building a LiveCD for PowerPC (that's
>> my target base).  I assume that I need to do this from a PPC
>> host?  Is there any other magic required?
>
> Correct.  Also, the ppc support may have bugs and only boot on a small
> subset of ppc platforms.  It's had very little in the way of testing.  I
> pushed a few little fixes for it today.

Thanks for the info.  Forgive an outsider's question, but how can I
access these changes (read only GIT pull would be fine)?