[Fedora-livecd-list] Building a LiveCD

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 21:32:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 14:56 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I follow this list and have read the README and Wiki, but
> I still have questions.  To start, is there any documentation
> other than the sources (the README and Wiki are pretty sparse).
> Most of my questions are detailed and not x86 mainline :-)

The README is really the extent of the current docs...  patches
cheerfully accepted :-)  And there should be kickstart syntax docs
floating around, although I don't remember where off-hand...  I'll try
to remember to ask clumens tomorrow

> For example, I'd like to use my own local repositories (I
> work with custom systems that aren't 100% in the public trees).
> How do I modify the kickstart file to handle this?

Repositories to use are defined by the 'repo' lines.  You can use
something like
  repo --name=foo --baseurl=http://some.web.site.com/path/to/my/repo
  repo --name=bar --baseurl=file:///path/to/a/local/one
  repo --name=baz --mirrorlist=http://some.site.com/path/to/mirrorlist

Baseurl and mirrorlist are used exactly as they are with yum.

> Also, I'm interested in building a LiveCD for PowerPC (that's
> my target base).  I assume that I need to do this from a PPC
> host?  Is there any other magic required?

Correct.  Also, the ppc support may have bugs and only boot on a small
subset of ppc platforms.  It's had very little in the way of testing.  I
pushed a few little fixes for it today.

One little bit of "magic" which is helpful is that if you're building on
a ppc64 box for a ppc32 target, you'll want to run livecd-creator under
setarch.  This is also applicable for building an i386 live CD on an
x86_64 box.