[Fedora-livecd-list] specifying kickstart file upon boot of liveCD

Jon Steer jsteer at bitscout.com
Fri Sep 14 23:28:44 UTC 2007

I have built a console-based LAMP LiveCD appliance. We use VMs to host the
liveCD during the testing process.

We'd like to be able to specify a kickstart file on the boot line that would
cause either puppet to run or other dynamic configuration tasks to occur
without manual intervention.

On normal bootup of the liveCD, we would expect manual intervention.

jon

On 9/13/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 12:08 -0400, Jon Steer wrote:
> > Although I suspect this is a naive question,
> >
> > Is it possible to specify a kickstart file upon boot of the liveCD? I
> > am interested in doing some non-interactive post-boot. Or, should I be
> > using something like cobbler/koan?
>
> If you're creating your own live CD, then you can make it do whatever
> you want from the live init script.  Just add the appropriate parsing
> of /proc/cmdline and then kick off whatever.
>
> Generally, the shipped Fedora live images don't do anything specific
> with install-related arguments as the installability isn't something
> that's really seen as wanting to be automated.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what are you actually trying to do?
>
> Jeremy
>
> --

"Don't stand still, if you see me running down the road, 'cause there is
trouble right behind me".