[Fedora-livecd-list] Building Live CD from externally-created ext3 file system

Todd N todd655495 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 22:29:12 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm new to the list so pardon me if I break any etiquette rules... it's not intentional.  :-)

The description of the Live CD Creator application found on Fedora's website includes a section on the steps performed by livecd-creator (see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo#head-275d791c27ecce3379d1e2cc5cfbd04f5d03af5d ).  My question is whether there is a way to build a live CD using a / (ext3) filesystem created by some other means.  Basically I'd like to be able to perform the last three steps listed in the document referenced above:

* Creates a squashfs file system containing only the ext3 file (compression)
* Configures the boot loader
* Creates an iso9660 bootable CD

We have already built a system and have it working exactly the way we want it.  Is there a way to take that filesystem, compress it, and build the CD without having to go through the system configuration, package selection, and all the custom configs at the end?  We'd like to build a CD that has maximum flexibility for compatible hardware.

I appreciate any help that can be offered.  Thanks.

Todd