[Fedora-livecd-list] cachedir conflict... bug?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 03:50:59 UTC 2008

Here's an interesting problem...

I set my ImageCreator cachedir to /var/yum/cache to share my x86_64
laptop's cache.  Maybe this was a bad idea, but an interesting thing
happened.

[root at newcaprica ltsp]# chroot-creator  --target=/opt/ltsp/i386/
/etc/ltsp/ltsp-build-client-ks.cfg
Mounting /opt/ltsp/i386/ for chroot installation
Retrieving
http://homemirror.togami.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
...OK
Retrieving
http://homemirror.togami.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
...OK

The resulting chroot successfully completed installation, but chroot to
run pretty much anything including /bin/bash failed.  x86_64 and i386
packages mixed together in some broken way.

[root at newcaprica opt]# yum clean metadata
27 metadata files removed

Cleaning out the metadata made it work as expected.

[root at newcaprica ltsp]# chroot-creator  --target=/opt/ltsp/i386/
/etc/ltsp/ltsp-build-client-ks.cfg
Mounting /opt/ltsp/i386/ for chroot installation
Retrieving
http://homemirror.togami.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
...OK
Retrieving
http://homemirror.togami.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml
...OK
Retrieving
http://homemirror.togami.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2
...OK

So there was some kind of conflict between my x86_64 host laptop and the
i386 chroot both trying to use the same yum cache directory.  I'm
guessing it was a bad idea to try to do so and this is unsupported.
However I am very surprised that it didn't error out.

Are there any genuine bugs in anything I described above?
Shouldn't yum warn or error out when it sees the repodata arch conflict?

I'm a little saddened that I can't share the same yum cache directories,
because the RPMS themselves could peacefully co-exist if it were not for
the metadata.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com