[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: failing at my first attempt at liveCD creation

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:43:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Fulko Hew wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Jerry Vonau wrote:
>>>
>>>  You could also use the --cachedir= setting in livecd-creator to keep the

>> OK... I tried that, and after a few false attempts I figured out that I
>> had
>> to pre-create a cache directory specifically named 'yum-cache'
>> and to pass into the -cache option the name of the directory
>> that _contained_ 'yum-cache' instead.
>>
>>  I've been using rawhide and now F9, I didn't have that problem with
> recent versions, what version are you using?

I'm using F8 (because KDE in F9 isn't finished/usable yet).

> Might be the behavior of what was released with F8, sorry I don't recall.

>  After running livecd-creator, that cache directory was indeed
> populated, so I decided to run the build again to watch it now
> take all the rpms from the cache, but it still went out to the net
> for everything.
>
>  There should be contact with the internet, to gather the repo's metadata
> to resolve dependences for the rpms. However when it comes time to download
> the rpms, if the rpm is in the cache the download should be skipped.

I'm not too sure what was happening the first time I tried,
I must have had a 'brain/eyes problem', because it does seem
to be using the cache correctly now.  :-(

My next issue... now that I can re-create a spin, is that I've
tried various F8 spins and I can't get them to work 'right',
Ie. none come up with a GUI.
I've tried:

livecd-fedora-8-desktop.ks
livecd-fedora-8-kde.ks

and 'kde' comes up with a text login (that I can't log into.
What username/password?)
and 'desktop' shows me an X config error, but when
viewing the details, I can't scroll to see the whole error log.

So I've moved on to spinning 'livecd-fedora-desktop.ks'.
At least that come up with the GUI, and I can try customizing
it from there.  (I need the GUI for the purposes of _my_ spin.)
Unfortunately its Gnome (personally, I'm anti-Gnome) and
F9 and Rawhide, but at least I can move forwards with it.
(Or at least try)