[Fedora-livecd-list] network boot feature

Cristian Ciupitu cristian.ciupitu at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 20:46:54 UTC 2008

This might be a bit off-topic, but here it goes. Would someone be
interested in making the "Live CD" bootable over the network, besides
CD-ROMs and USB flash drives? It would be something similar to the
Knoppix Terminal Server. Here are some of the benefits:
- a school could try using Fedora for its workstations without burning
  20 CDs or buying 20 flash drives (I'm assuming that Fedora is already
  used on the server)
- small servers (e.g. routers, firewalls) or members of a cluster could
  become diskless

It would be even nicer if the whole root could be stored in the RAM, but
this is not a priority right now.

I have done something similar for Red Hat 7.1, only that the root was
shared over NFS and it was writable. Also, this time, I would like to
see this integrated in the upstream.