[Fedora-livecd-list] network boot feature

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sun Jun 15 22:43:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 13:46 -0700, Cristian Ciupitu wrote:
> This might be a bit off-topic, but here it goes. Would someone be
> interested in making the "Live CD" bootable over the network, besides
> CD-ROMs and USB flash drives? It would be something similar to the
> Knoppix Terminal Server. Here are some of the benefits:
[snip]
> It would be even nicer if the whole root could be stored in the RAM, but
> this is not a priority right now.

So there's already the livecd-iso-to-pxeboot script.  It basically takes
it and makes it so that you grab the entire rootfs via tftp when pxe'ing
and thus puts it in RAM.  For some cases, this works...

> I have done something similar for Red Hat 7.1, only that the root was
> shared over NFS and it was writable. Also, this time, I would like to
> see this integrated in the upstream.

But to do more (such as NFS or NBD), we really need to finish getting to
where we use more of the standard Fedora initrd infrastructure so that
we don't have to re-invent the wheel for things like network bring-up,
etc