[Fedora-livecd-list] network boot feature

Cristian Ciupitu cristian.ciupitu at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 00:11:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 2008 1:43:01 +300, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 13:46 -0700, Cristian Ciupitu wrote:
> > This might be a bit off-topic, but here it goes. Would someone be
> > interested in making the "Live CD" bootable over the network, besides
> > CD-ROMs and USB flash drives? It would be something similar to the
> > Knoppix Terminal Server. Here are some of the benefits:
> [snip]
> > It would be even nicer if the whole root could be stored in the RAM, but
> > this is not a priority right now.
>
> So there's already the livecd-iso-to-pxeboot script.  It basically takes
> it and makes it so that you grab the entire rootfs via tftp when pxe'ing
> and thus puts it in RAM.  For some cases, this works...

I didn't know about this script, but I will surely try it. It should be promoted
more :-)

> > I have done something similar for Red Hat 7.1, only that the root was
> > shared over NFS and it was writable. Also, this time, I would like to
> > see this integrated in the upstream.
>
> But to do more (such as NFS or NBD), we really need to finish getting to
> where we use more of the standard Fedora initrd infrastructure so that
> we don't have to re-invent the wheel for things like network bring-up,
> etc

That's why I want this integrated into mainstream, to reuse as much as
possible from the Fedora infrastructure, instead of rolling my own. Is
there a todo/bug list regarding this? I've already looked at the
livecd-tools bug list and I haven't seen anything regarding this.

Cristian