[Fedora-livecd-list] Kickstart ignored?

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 1 17:14:35 UTC 2008

Gary Thomas wrote:
>> Jerry Vonau wrote:

>>> Just so I'm clear here, you burned the iso with this file in /tmp?
>>
>> No, I downloaded the kickstart file into /tmp after the livecd was
>> booted, but before I called liveinst.
>>
>>> Looking through /usr/sbin/anaconda I see:
>>> op.add_option("--kickstart", dest="ksfile")
>>> but no --ks= so I don't think anaconda is using the ks file.
>>>
>>> Perhaps "liveinst --text --kickstart=/tmp/ks.cfg" would do the trick
>>> here. That is setup in the livecd ks file, which would need to be
>>> edited:
>>>
>>> if strstr "\`cat /proc/cmdline\`" liveinst ; then
>>>    /usr/sbin/liveinst --kickstart=\$ks
>>> fi
>>>
>>> if strstr "\`cat /proc/cmdline\`" textinst ; then
>>>    /usr/sbin/liveinst --text --kickstart=\$ks
>>> fi
>>>
>>> Hoping I'm on the right track,
>>
>> Thanks - I'll look more closely at how these options are passed around.
>
> I tried every option I could find, even trying to run anaconda in a more
> "normal" mode, but it always ignores my kickstart file.  I even put an
> incorrect file name <non-existent> and indeed nothing changed, hence my
> assertion that the kickstart file (ks=XXX) is ignored completely.
>
> What am I missing?  How can I get this to work?
>
> Thanks

Mind if I have a look at your ks file that you used for the livecd
creation?

Well, liveinst takes the place of stage1, and is just a wrapper, have a
look:

# eventually, we might want to allow a more "normal" install path
ANACONDA="/usr/sbin/anaconda --method=livecd://$LIVE_BLOCK --lang $LANG"

if [ ! -e /selinux/load ]; then
     ANACONDA="$ANACONDA --noselinux"
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/hal-lock -a -e /var/lock/subsys/haldaemon ]; then
     /usr/bin/hal-lock --interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage \
  --exclusive --run "$ANACONDA $*"
else
     $ANACONDA $*
fi

As a test let the livecd boot, (don't pass liveinst at the boot prompt),
try editing the liveinst file, adding in your kickstart stuff:
ANACONDA="/usr/sbin/anaconda --method=livecd://$LIVE_BLOCK \
--lang $LANG --kickstart=/tmp/ks.cfg"
save and then call liveinst.

Just trying to narrow down where the ks variable is not being passed.

Jerry