[Fedora-livecd-list] Report On F-11 Beta With Orca

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 7 19:41:21 UTC 2009

Second reply email -- on the installation issue ...

Jeremy Katz writes:
> On Monday, April 06 2009, Janina Sajka said:
> > Problem Areas
>
> > *	My attempt to install F-11 from the Live desktop icon failed.
> > *	All I could glean is that Orca had the installation screen
> > *	listed as "inaccessible." This is on an x86_64 box using x86_64
> > *	Live. It may not be there in i386.
> >
> > 	I wqould like to help debug this, but not sure how to proceed.
>
> The problem here (unfortunately) is that we have to run the install as
> root.  But the session isn't running as root and hence you don't get any
> of the a11y stuff.
>
> While an argument could be made that the work could be done to separate
> out the frontend and backend of the install and do everything over dbus
> or some other ipc, the root of the matter is that there are too many
> other things in the installer pile that are likely to always end up
> taking priority.  So the question is how can you get an app running as
> root from consolehelper to work with the a11y technologies and then I
> can try to push those tweaks as needed

OK. I'll try and help chase down the latest and greatest advice on this.
For starters:

*	I believe Ubuntu Live is doing it. I'll get their image and
*	check.

*	Fedora's GUI Virt-Manager (System Tools) is doing it
*	beautifully. While I'm still having problems learning to set up
*	virtual machines, it's not for a11y reasons as this tool is
*	working as it should--perhaps 95-98% of the screens. So,
*	whatever virt-manager is doing in the gui, is the way to go. I,
*	as the ordinary user, am prompted once (and accessibly) for
*	root's passwd, and that's that.

*	There's a page, not recently updated, on the Orca wiki on this
*	topic:
	http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SysAdmin

Does any of this, particularly the virt-manager, help?

Janina