[Fedora-livecd-list] lzma + squashfs should be easy to use in livecd-tools

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 9 01:11:02 UTC 2009

Phillip Lougher posted lmza+squashfs patches to lkml yesterday and today
as a followup he posted a message indicating how to build / use the new
sqaushfs-tools to build or read squashfs file systems.
(http://marc.info/?l=linux-embedded&m=126029628723357&w=2)

The short description is that to use lzma compression when building
squashfs images you add a -comp lzma option and that when reading
squashfs file systems the type of compression is automatically detected
and no special action is needed.

If it is desired to have a single version of livecd-creator that works
regardless of whether or not mksquashfs supports lzma, it is possible to
run mksquashfs without any arguments and examine the output to see if
lzma is supported. It may also be necessary to check for a minimum kernel
being used for livecd image if livecd-creator is supposed to be able to compose
older versions of Fedora.

While I don't think I'd call this a "feature", I'd like to have something
testable by feature freeze and am willing to do some work to make this
happen.