[Fedora-livecd-list] lzma + squashfs should be easy to use in livecd-tools

Jeremy Katz katzj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 9 01:45:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> Phillip Lougher posted lmza+squashfs patches to lkml yesterday and today
> as a followup he posted a message indicating how to build / use the new
> sqaushfs-tools to build or read squashfs file systems.
> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-embedded&m=126029628723357&w=2)
[snip]
> If it is desired to have a single version of livecd-creator that works
> regardless of whether or not mksquashfs supports lzma, it is possible to
> run mksquashfs without any arguments and examine the output to see if
> lzma is supported. It may also be necessary to check for a minimum kernel
> being used for livecd image if livecd-creator is supposed to be able to compose
> older versions of Fedora.

While one version is better, we continue to end up being a little
hosed by squashfs changes here so I probably wouldn't end up being too
concerned by it :/  Checking kernel versions is kind of crummy as an
answer given the propensity towards things like patching kernels, etc.

The biggest question as far as whether or not it's feasible for F13 in
my mind really is whether or not the code gets accepted upstream.  The
progress of squashfs patches into the kernel has historically not been
very fast there.

- Jeremy