[Fedora-livecd-list] isohybrid versus livecd-iso-to-disk

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Jul 24 13:04:57 UTC 2009

On Friday, July 24 2009, Marc Herbert said:
> I am currently using livecd-iso-to-disk to create USB images. How does this isohybrid
> technique compare to it? Is it meant to replace it in the future?

livecd-iso-to-disk (or really liveusb-creator) is always going to be the
"preferred" way of creating a USB image.  With the tool you get the
advantage that it's a non-destructive operation, you can set up things
like persistence and you can mount and use the disk "normally" to hold
more stuff.

isohybrid, though, is nice for a quick trial run or for people on a
platform that livecd-iso-to-disk/liveusb-creator can't work due to an
inability to run syslinux or other reasons (OS/X being the obvious big
one, probably the rest of the BSDs as well)