[Fedora-livecd-list] a boot option to remove the persistent layer and create a new one

مؤيد السعدي muayyad.alsadi at ojuba.org
Fri Mar 13 19:43:36 UTC 2009

hi,

if one used more than the size of the persistent layer,
system becomes corrupted and unusable

one then can remove the layer to restore it to "factory defaults"

but telling people to create a new layer is a but difficult for end users

I suggest adding things to /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys generated by %post
by replacing

# if we have a persistent /home, then we want to go ahead and mount it
if ! strstr "\`cat /proc/cmdline\`" nopersistenthome && [ -n "\$homedev" ]
; then
  action "Mounting persistent /home" mountPersistentHome
fi

with

if ! strstr "\`cat /proc/cmdline\`" nopersistenthome && [ -n "\$homedev" ]
; then
  if ! strstr "\`cat /proc/cmdline\`" resetpersistenthome
    action "Mounting persistent /home" resetPersistentHome
    telinit 6
  else
    action "Mounting persistent /home" mountPersistentHome
  fi
fi

and we also need a small fix in /usr/libexec/mkliveinitrd
just below
for o in `cat /proc/cmdline` ; do

resetPersistentHome and resetOverlay should simply check the size of the
img file we want to rest
then remove it then create a new one with the same size

if we want one more step
we may allow user to pass resetoverlay=200 to optionally specify the new
size

BTW: do we really need to sleep 5

    if [ -z "$setup" ]; then
        if [ -n "$devspec" -a -n "$pathspec" ]; then
           echo "Unable to find persistent overlay; using temporary"
           sleep 5
        fi