[Fedora-livecd-list] Low overlay/home dir space

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 13:31:01 UTC 2009

On Monday, March 16 2009, Williamson Grant said:
> Has anyone found a workaround for low disk space on the livecd. I know
> you can repair the luks home directory but I want to try and prevent
> this.
> Has anyone looked in to gnome-volume-manager or quota(or something else)
> to prevent the root and/or home dir from becoming full?

There's really not a good way to do it with the overlay -- since we're
using dm-snapshot, the changes are all block based and so things like
quota or even shrinking the filesystem won't work.  The only real
solution is to be able to use something more robust than dm-snapshot,
but then we get into the land of "not-upstreamed-kernel-bits" which are
basically a non-starter.  There's a new effort underway to hopefully
make an upstreamable unionfs-like thing which could be interesting in
the future.

For persistent /home, though, it's a real filesystem and thus you get
the usual filesystem limits to writing to avoid low disk space problems
(including the default 5% of reserved space for root)