[Fedora-livecd-list] Resolved - Password for fedora livecd

prakash srinivasan asprakash_83 at rediffmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:33:11 UTC 2009

Hello all,
      I resolved the root password problem & I followed the below steps in my case.. Hope it may useful for someone in future.

* Add/remove the packages & created a custom fedora-9 livecd iso image.
* Mount the iso, squashfs & ext3fs images.
* Edit the file "etc/shadow"
* Go to the first line. Remove the "*" in between the first and second colon (or) remove all the words in between the first & second colon. After edited, the first line should be like this, "root::14289:0:99999:7:::".
* Save it.
* Umount the images and recreate the ext3fs,squashfs & mydistro.iso
* After you booted with mydistro.iso, you can now access all the system related tools/applications without asking root password.

Regards,
Prakash.