[Fedora-livecd-list] should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed May 20 15:16:48 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, May 20 2009, Rahul Sundaram said:
> On 05/20/2009 12:43 PM, Williamson Grant wrote:
> > Should a livecd be created ext3 or ext4.
> >
> > The reason I ask, is we tend offer the livecd's also as usb sticks, when
> > I last tried the
> > usb stick does not boot if the filesystem is ext4.
> >
> > Comments anyone?
>
> Fedora 11 Live CD's will use Ext4 by default but retain a small /boot
> partition formatted as Ext3. Since GRUB doesn't support LVM and Fedora
> uses LVM by default, a separate /boot is needed anyway. You can create a
> customized live cd with a different filesystem by using --fstype in
> kickstart.

This isn't entirely accurate.  The live images themselves are entirely
ext4.  When you install them on a hard drive, we make an ext3 /boot and
do some shuffling in anaconda.

The ext4 live image is compressed inside of a squashfs which is then
placed on your USB stick which should be formatted either as vfat, ext2,
or ext3.  I don't believe that extlinux (which we use for booting ext*
USB sticks with live images on them) supports ext4 yet