[Fedora-livecd-list] launch anaconda & kickstart from running livecd

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 17 01:51:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 09:10:57 -0500,
  Peter Scheie <peter.scheie at visionshareinc.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.  Is the 'liveinst' utility needed in order
> to install the image from the livecd to the hard drive?  Or is it needed
> because anaconda isn't built to start an installation from an already
> running system (such as a running livecd session)?  I assume it is the
> former, as the webpage says as much, but I wanted verify that I wasn't
> misunderstanding the requirements.  (This *does* start drifting toward
> being an anaconda question, but it's all within the context of the
> livecd session.)  If the 'liveinst' utility is only needed for
> installing the image from the CD to the system, then that suggests that
> I don't need the newer anaconda, as I just want to launch a 'normal'
> installation-via-http using a kickstart file on the http server or
> embeded on the livecd.  Am I correct?

Live CDs don't install using repos with rpms; they copy over the filesystems.
So normal anaconda is not going to get what it needs from the Live CD media.
I haven't tried doing http installs using a live CD, as I typically use
the netinst/boot isos for doing that. So I don't know if everything needed
for doing that is on the Live CD.