[Fedora-livecd-list] launch anaconda & kickstart from running livecd

Jeremy Katz katzj at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 18 16:44:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Patrice Guay
<patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca> wrote:
> Peter Scheie wrote:
>> Thanks for the clarification.  Is the 'liveinst' utility needed in order
>> to install the image from the livecd to the hard drive?  Or is it needed
>> because anaconda isn't built to start an installation from an already
>> running system (such as a running livecd session)?  I assume it is the
>> former, as the webpage says as much, but I wanted verify that I wasn't
>> misunderstanding the requirements.  (This *does* start drifting toward
>> being an anaconda question, but it's all within the context of the
>> livecd session.)
>
> This is definitely a question related to anaconda. The liveinst utility was
> added to anaconda in order to support installation from a LiveCD. You should
> ask the package maintainers what are the limitations of their utility and
> its normal usage.

<pedantic>
liveinst is purely a shell script to kick off anaconda with the
various arguments for "install off of a live system" mode
</pedantic>

Installing a live image using anaconda requires the anaconda changes
that went into Fedora 8 to do so -- you're not going to be able to get
away with easily getting those running on a CentOS 5 system.  You
could hack up something to do the basic bits, but any of the, eg, help
with partitioning you get or otherwise isn't going to be there.

- Jeremy