Dropping authconfig TUI?

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:28:43 UTC 2005

On 8/1/05, Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm in process of refactoring and rewriting authconfig
> (alias system-config-authentication).
>
> The first step is rewriting most of the C code in Python. This should
> allow much easier extensibility and refactoring possibilities.
>
> I'd like to drop the Newt text UI from authconfig. The main reason isn't
> the Python rewrite but future improvements which I'd like to do only in
> GUI. The TUI has limited possibilities (especially the usable screen
> size as it must be designed for 80x24 terminals).
>
> This wouldn't mean that authconfig won't be usable without X display
> because there still remains the command line interface with --
> enable/disable options, which is IMO much more useful for experienced
> sysadmins.

Well I do not have serious objections.. but I have found that the tui
was much easier to use for most of my limited needs. Having a well
documented command line tool though would be equivalent. I would also
suggest that this be documented in a wider audience so it doesnt show
up as the usual flame war about RH not telling anyone but a select
audience what they are planning. It will instead be a flame-war about
no TUI's for remote administration.

By the way, I have to write a bunch of python TUI's at my secure
undisclosed location.. what would be the best packages to look at for
pointers on doing this?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator