Dropping authconfig TUI?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 08:20:32 UTC 2005

I'm in process of refactoring and rewriting authconfig
(alias system-config-authentication).

The first step is rewriting most of the C code in Python. This should
allow much easier extensibility and refactoring possibilities.

I'd like to drop the Newt text UI from authconfig. The main reason isn't
the Python rewrite but future improvements which I'd like to do only in
GUI. The TUI has limited possibilities (especially the usable screen
size as it must be designed for 80x24 terminals).

This wouldn't mean that authconfig won't be usable without X display
because there still remains the command line interface with --
enable/disable options, which is IMO much more useful for experienced
sysadmins.

If you have some serious objections, please speak up.
--
Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>