Package needing to be shared across multiple branches

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Aug 4 15:31:13 UTC 2005

Ville Skyttä wrote :

> > So I'd like to find a way to have the torcs-data packages I've just
> > released in development hardlinked to the FC-3 and FC-4 trees since it
> > will save a few hundred megabytes on all Fedora Extras mirrors. Can I just
> > request that on the FC3Status and FC4Status Wiki pages?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, yes.  Opinions welcome whether there's value in
> having them hardlinked in the "root" Extras repository on
> fedoraproject.org or if a "cp -p" would be enough/better.

Well, if you're going to run "cp", you might as well use "-l" too in order
to hardlink the files on the master server :-)

> > Will there be a formal process for this case, since it's definitely not an
> > isolated one? Would be nice... but probably won't be easy, though.
>
> I don't really see anything that wouldn't be easy about it, and yes, I
> volunteer to help with these copy requests.  Unless someone violently
> objects to the whole idea of hardlinking/copying or has better ideas,
> let's use the FC[34]Status pages for this for now.

I'd definitely be willing to help too, and don't object to those manual
hardlinking operations in any way.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
Load : 0.40 0.26 0.25