Maintainers must be reachable by email

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Aug 31 22:57:01 UTC 2005

> On 8/31/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> > So you want to setup a filter that does all that shit on the server?
>
> I'm not sure what i want, other than knowing i want a pony. I'm just
> trying to re-state what I think is being asked for and trying to get
> to a workable technical solution. I don't have a dog in this race
> personally. I'm not drowning in spam yet.. and as everyone on the
> mailinglists can tell..I'm spending way to much time as it is yapping
> away with other maintainers.
>
> Group A needs to communicate about packages with Group B..privately.
> Group B is not seeing email from Group A due to too much spam.  How do
> we make it easier for Group A and Group B to communicate? Perhaps
> email itself is the problem here. Would it be technically possible to
> have some sort of centralized bulletin board system that can handle
> person-to-person notes and then require maintainers to check such a
> system once-a-week-ish?

Spam isn't the only reason mail doesn't get through.  I can't email
anyone with an @bigpond.net.au account because that ISP seems to think
mail servers running from a dynamic IP address are evil.  Same with
@aol.com addresses and a few others.  The fact is, my mail server works
just fine, it's up 98% of the time, it's DNS entry is constantly
refreshed, and it's not an open relay.  Apparently that doesn't matter
though, and I'm too cheap to pay extra money for a static IP :).

I don't consider this nearly as large of an issue as the spam filter
stuff, but just wanted to point out that other reasons for mail not
getting through are possible.

josh