libxml v1 dependencies (was: Re: multilib fun - devel packages)

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 04:55:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 20:24 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> > Is there a reason why there has to be a financial software in core?  I
> > see pushing this to extras as a win win situation.  Core wins by being
> > smaller, and the deps just for gnucash can go as well, plus the
> > community that uses this software can maintain it, and track the port in
> > extras.
>
> whats the target group for Core again? knowledge worker doesn't
> encompass finance tracking of any sort? I think thats probably a very

"Technology Enthusiasts."  People like you and me.  Community members.
That's why we still include 15 web browsers in core and 50 editors.
(Too much hyperbole?)

This is an interesting question, actually.  If we want to get to a
one-cd install we're going to have to make some hard choices.  Not that
I would mind making those choices, but we would have to shrink down the
scope of what we deliver right now.

There's also the question of if we're server focused or desktop focused.
Right now it's some strange combination of both.  But for a one-cd
install we're going to have to make a choice between the two.

--Chris