libxml v1 dependencies (was: Re: multilib fun - devel packages)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 21:52:24 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > Extras NEEDS "freeze" points
> Why?
>
> What, in your opinion, qualifies "FC+updates" as "non-rolling" and
> FE as "rolling"? Except that some FE packages occasionally break on
> shared libraries, I don't see a basic difference between both of them.

The basic difference is that rawhide freezes for short periods of time
which  allows the release team to spin up release candidate trees and
fix whatever needs to be fixed before the final release goes
out..without the additional burden of having the rawhide tree shift
around while they are doing this.  If Fedora project leadership is
going to encourage the concept of altnerative release targets.. items
that ship on installable media... that span Core+Extras.... Extras is
going to need to have similar freeze points so the release maintainers
for these alternative collections will have some time to do exactly
what the Core release people do before the final release..spin up
release candidate trees and have specific packaging issues addressed.
The volatility of rawhide and extras-development are exactly why the
freeze points are needed before a final release of target.

-jef