Summary of Dropped Packages

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 24 09:41:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 10:11 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
>I'm also a bit disappointed to see xfce dropped... FC is now short of a
>powerful but light desktop manager and still has two huge heavyweight
>ones.

Yeah. I think this whole last-minute attempt to cut down just one of the
supported architectures to 4 CDs is misguided. We can do this properly
in FC5 when anaconda can support multiple repositories. Why are we
bothering with it now?

And if we're going to start ditching random stuff to make space, can't
we at least try to keep the damage limited to the one arch we seem to be
doing this for? We could gain about 25M by dropping the Xen kernels, for
example. Those weren't in FC3.

Making kernel-devel packages share the base files from a core package
but just include their own build-specific headers and asm-offsets.h
would get rid of another 8M or so, too. More than that if we still have
the Xen kernel-devel packages in the tree. And would have the added
benefit of not requiring us to run hardlink in %post.

--
dwmw2