proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Fri Jul 29 13:33:25 UTC 2005

Hi.

Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Indeed people who don't need -devel packages don't need -static either.
> My concern is developers having to download static libs that they never
> use.

Given the fact that selecting "development" in the installation process
will give you almost each and every -devel package the system has to
offer anyway I thinks this is a kind of moot point. Disk space is cheap.

And yes, I do use static libraries. Rarely, but I do. Building binaries
for a different distribution that do specialized things very important
at that time without having to worry about dynamic libraries has saved
my ass more than once.

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.