package functionality - is it a core feature?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 19:51:51 UTC 2005

> Some of the discussion on fedora-devel was about certain Core
> packages and whether or not they seemed appropriate for Core as
> opposed to Extras. So, collecting more opinions at this point on:
>
> - iptstate
> - cscope
> - tora
> - Emacs addons - mew/ddskk/flim/wl
>
> Do people think that these are core functionality?

Can I suggest stepping back and asking "in our star trek future (FC5 or
6), what is the right line between Core and Extras" then try to apply
that line to specific packages.

"Reasonably objective to apply" would be a desirable property of the
line, if we can manage it.

My suggestion is that we have default package sets for the common use
cases (mail server, desktop, java dev workstation, etc.) and their union
is Core. Is that broken?

Havoc