package functionality - is it a core feature?

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 22:51:19 UTC 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> My suggestion is that we have default package sets for the common use
> cases (mail server, desktop, java dev workstation, etc.) and their union
> is Core. Is that broken?

i don't think it's broken at all. debian does something similar in that it
groups packages into 'tasks', and you can decide at install time which tasks you
want to install (database server, python development, documentation tools, X,
workstation, etc.)

something similar might work for fc5, but imo fc5 need not comprise the entire
union of all the tasks. just thinking out loud here...

Mark