continuing with sprint development post-fc5

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 2 18:36:49 UTC 2006

> Le jeudi 02 mars 2006 à 18:11 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
>
>> > Uhm... isn't the per Core release updates-testing repo appropriate for
>> > exactly this sort of work?
>>
>> I considered the same answer. But the more I think about it the more I
>> tend to "no, that's not a good idea". We might scare away those that
>> only want to help testing updated packages that *should* work fine
>> before they enter updates proper.
>>
>> So my vote: Create updates-experimental for this stuff.
>
> I'm pretty sure you do NOT want to create such a repository.
> If you create a single repository, where davej will push kernels,
> mharris xorg updates, dan selinux stuff etc :
> 1. you're recreating rawhide (badly, by another name). What one
> maintainer will call an acceptable experiment another will call
> destabilising the common repo
> 2. you have the same problem as before : users are scared because they
> may agree to experiment with the kernel, or selinux, or xorg, or
> something_else, but never all of them at once

I see your point, but at the same time some of the stuff Chris is talking
about involves all of those things.  Like suspend...  it's more than just
the kernel needed.

> What you need is something like what happens on p.r.c., or with kernel
> trees : specialized repos, each with a clearly defined functional
> target, and only the stuff related to this target.

Which can be the kernel, selinux, xorg, _and_ something_else depending on
the target :).

> If you do it this way it'll be a big success. If you mix everything it
> will be a repo in search of users like updates-testing.

It'll also be a big PITA.  That could be a lot of repos depending on how
things fall out.

I think the bigger question is, are the Core developers going to have time
to do this?  If not, then it's largely a waste of time.

I'm cautiously optimistic :)

josh