continuing with sprint development post-fc5

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Mar 7 01:09:42 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>But that it's focused in this one area.  Having a generic "experimental"
>>tree will just result in piling on, and I would rather have focus in
>>this one problem domain for this one repo.  And also the "experimental"
>>tree _is_ the devel tree.  It's FC6.  I just want to see us make real
>>gains with the relatively stable FC5 tree.
>

> Isn't the people.redhat.com space the most appropriate place for this.

Not really.  people.redhat.com is supposed to be the personal space
for Red Hat employees to put their own whatevers.  It isn't an official
place for yum repositories, but since there is no official location,
many of us have put up repositories or whatnot on people.redhat.com
due to lack of a better place.

To make things worse however, the people.redhat.com machine is almost
out of disk space, and most people have fairly low disk quotas, which
make it infeasible.  I'm told that adding more disk space to the
machine is not as simple as dropping in a new drive, and so we can't
really rely on people.redhat.com being a place for yum repositories.

What we really need, is a new machine with a LOT of disk space, and
either no disk quotas, or very large disk quotas that do not restrict
people from being able to do their jobs effectively.

> As an example, Linville already runs
> http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fedora-netdev/
> as a yum repository for "experimental" kernels associated with network
> driver patches and has annoucements to the fedora-annouce list when
> there are updates.
>
> I'm not sure what "official blessing" you are looking for. What's
> stopping you from putting a similiar repo in your people.redhat.com
> space and pushing annoucements to the annouce-list in a similiar
> fashion to what linville has done for the kernel-netdev tree?

See above disk space/quota contraints, et al.  Fedora currently does
not have any official public place where developers can put stuff that
is experimental or unofficial.  I'm considering changing my scripts to
push things to mharris.ca or to freedesktop.org instead, as both have
essentially infinite disk space, and no quotas.

What's funnier, is that I (and I assume most employees) can easily
afford to purchase 50 times the disk space people.redhat.com has for
our own personal use, but for some reason the company can't afford
to provide public disk space for Fedora development, which is available
for for all employees.  ;o)

Maybe this will change now that I've brought it up. ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.