Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 19:59:43 UTC 2006

On 3/24/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> What I find naïve is continuing to believe security can be special-cased.
> Do you think company users bother to report every single
> security-sensitive documents they manipulate ? Do you think home users
> think about it ?

Is there an established home user oriented differential/incremental
backup mechanism which can handle the complication of encypted
filesystems?  As a home users...with desktop systems.. I'm much more
concerned about data integrity, recovery in case of a harddrive
failure, and data archiving  than I am about someone getting access to
99% of the information throughout my home directory.  And no a dd of
the whole filesystem to a different disk certainly doesn't count in my
book as "home user oriented"  and doesn't meet my other needs for
transparency if the encyption is left in place.  For my personal use
I'd find it much more reasonable to have the option to encapsulate
sensitive personal information from that of information I can
transparently backup to make it easier to sort through the backup
material when necessary.

-jef