Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Mar 28 08:13:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> David Zeuthen wrote:
>>
>> I think Jeremy's point about using block level encryption on real disks
>> for anything but removable / hotplugable devices makes sense. I also
>> don't think we want to encrypt the entire home directory, that would
>> suck for e.g. compiles of software
>
> Do most people do compiling?  Or heavy-duty I/O for that matter?  I think
> that if we would right click and just say "disable encryption on this
> directory" that would be enough.

That might be fine for a home user but in a corporate environment the user
does not necessarily get to say something should not be encrypted "because
it's inconvenient and slows down my builds". If it were up to the users,
I'm pretty sure *nobody* here (where I work) would bother encrypting their
systems at all simpy because it's so much more convient not to.

 	- Panu -