Finding unowned and multiply-owned directories

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue Oct 10 14:41:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 00:28 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> I have spent a bit of time working on a utility which parses repodata
>> (filelists.xml) and determines which directories are multiply owned
>> and which are unowned.  The result seems to work pretty well, but the
>> full report (run over both core and extras repodata) is 30000 lines.
>
> In case no one encouraged you - get this checked in to SOMEWHERE. I'd
> like to see tools capable of telling us large-scale silliness in the
> distro or packages and things like this help us.
>
> We might not have a good place for it right now but we can make one - a
> general distro-tools or whatever cvs location is fine until we find a
> better home.

  As I discussed briefly with Jason on Friday (right before he wrote this,
I understand), I have a script that produces an ungodly amount of data to
the point of weeding out duplicate files, which also has the nice side
effect of making it dead simple to produce a ~63mb text file containing
the file list of every package in Core and Extras (which greps real
nicely!).  I'm polishing it up now (adding EVR tracking, making updating
the data easier), in case anyone's interested.

      Jima