Agressive FUD by Fedora contributor

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 00:13:14 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 04:14:46PM -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here Axel.
>
> It's not about me, but about what you are trying to do.
>
> > You seem to be completely ignoring the **FACT** that Fedora users
> > who use ATrpms end up with messed up systems in which they can no
> > longer properly upgrade using yum.
>
> That is what I call FUD. I count a dozen thousand unique daily
> visitors on ATrpms' master mirror and if one could get metrics from
> the other mirrors there would be quite a huge number. So there are ~
> 15000 users with broken systems daily? Or are do they all belong to
> the category "have been very lucky" as you write in bugzilla?

Do you think I am spreading lies here?  Let me describe my latest
issue with ATrpms which I had to deal with not more than a few weeks
ago:

I work closely with an upstream developer on several of the packages I
maintain for Fedora.  Upstream made a build farm for their packages
which recently was breaking with Fedora.  They asked me to fix the
problem and it was due to the fact that they were using apt-get and
ATrpms.

IIRC, I believe it was the "nx" package that was causing problems for
them, I'm not sure how nx was getting installed, perhaps as some
dependency for another package.  But to make a long story short,
disabling ATrpms and using yum instead of apt-get solved their
problem.  So I don't see how you can call this "FUD" when I *still*
have to deal with problems stemming from the ATrpms repo.