How to load a kernel module automatically?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Apr 4 12:05:00 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 04 April 2007, Julian Sikorski wrote:

> Removal of module should not render the system unusable, [...]

Famous last words :)

> Getting back to scriptlets: you mean that I should add depmod
> -a on %post and depmod -e on %preun?

I suggest you read through
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/KernelModules and apply ideas
presented there to the module packaging scheme you're using in case you're
not going to use that one as is.

> I would like the upgrade to be as
> painless for users as possible, and as there is no easy way to give them
> a message like "add uinput to modprobe.conf",

I don't think that would be necessary.  Just drop in
the /etc/sysconfig/modules snippet, run appropriate depmods and be done with
it.  What I was objecting to was explicitly installing/removing modules
in/from the running kernel in package scriptlets.

> they could be a bit surprised when swiping will cease to work for them.

I fail to see how not installing/removing modules in %post and friends would
result in that.  In fact it feels more likely that it could happen if you
*do* it.