[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 19:35:06 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hans de Goede napsal(a):
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:

>>> So, this is just a request to add proper %lang annotations to the
>>> firefox file lists ?
>>>

>> Yes and no, Peter's original request really was for seperate (sub)
>> packages. But Peter's problem can be solved too (and probably better) by
>> adding proper
>> %lang annotations to the firefox file lists. This all AFAIK.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hans
>>
>> --
>>

> I'd like to add my 2$ as well to this issue.. so.. We have usual OSS
> applications that handle locales via *.po/*.mo files. These can (and must) be
> handled in spec file. I don't have any problems with this. But firefox is
> different. Far different. First, it ships langpacks separately from main
> programme, in *.xpi files.

That's an implementation detail, really.  This discussion should be
format-independent.  Should I replace the 12 MB of .zip (yes that's all
.xpi are) files with 20MB+ of uncompressed .po files?  Will that cause
people to stop complaining?

Second, Firefox's langpacks are extensions not proper
> locale AFAIK.

AFAIK, this is not a proper argument.  Please explain.