packages with logwatch scripts

Wart wart at kobold.org
Wed Feb 21 03:48:36 UTC 2007

I'm starting to work on adding logwatch support to a few game daemons
that I maintain, to help admins keep track of player activity.  Where
would be the correct place to add the logwatch scripts, and how should
the Requires: be handled?

choices:

1) Put the scripts and configs in the /etc/logwatch hierarchy
or
2) Put the scripts and configs in the /usr/share/logwatch hierarchy

and

a) Require: logwatch for directory ownership
or
b) Don't explicitly Require: logwatch; daemons will only have logwatch
support if logwatch is already present.

I would prefer not to add the explicit 'Requires: logwatch', and only
provide that functionality if the server admin has already installed
logwatch.  But this would leave the directories in 1/2 unowned.

Suggestions?

--Wart