Rawhide stability

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Feb 24 13:31:38 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007 05:58, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Stuff that would make testers life easier:
> - better rebuild staging (do not expose half-rebuilt repos, wait till
> they're complete)

This has been brought up before, how do we know what is "half rebuilt" ?
There is almost always going to be some form of broken deps, especially after
the merger.  Timezone variance makes it very difficult, but thats what
freezes are for, to get things consistent again, without things changing
underneath you.

> - trivial stuff hot-fixes (allow maintainers to push trivial fixes
> before the nightly push when the fix is known and every tester complains
> about the same problem)

somewhat difficult on the mirrors.  Also, pushing rawhide takes a while, since
we make it installable, multilib, etc...  maybe some sort of 'updates' to
rawhide in another repo, but then we need somebody to respond to the push
requests and, well, that's a lot of work.

> - rollback of problem packages (put back the previous package when a
> problem has been identified with the new one and we know it will take
> days to fix)

This can be done, all it takes is a maintainer telling me and I can untag the
broken build.  Of course this breaks upgrade paths for anybody who picked up
the broken build...

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora