Future owners/ACL choices

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Feb 26 17:25:33 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) said:
> > I'm mostly of the opinion that they shouldn't be kept limping indefinitely
> > without an *actual* owner.
>
> Check how FE has handled this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/AWOL_Maintainers
>
> I don't see why this should not be applicable in future.
>
> One problem however: The ACLs prevent volunteers from stepping in and to
> take over rsp. to remove a package.

Sure, that's how to *obtain* ownership if you desire it, and Toshio
has mentioned in this thread how he'd like to make that step easy.

What I'm concerned about is packages remaining orphaned long-term,
because either no one wants to maintain them, or not maintain
them more than a rebuild for depedencies, etc. That's not really
covered here.

Another point is that we probably need to set up an official place
where people can watch and track owner changes, package changes, etc
to orphaned packages, much in the same way that owners get all the
commits to their own packages now.

Bill