Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Jun 3 14:30:17 UTC 2007

On Sunday 03 June 2007 10:13:00 Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Well, the merged world should give us some benefits now. Can't those
> packagers that have packages depending on firefox give caillion the
> permission to rebuild their packages? Then he can simply build all those
> after the new firefox fished building. A script might be helpful and
> could automate most of it -- then it would be nothing more than one
> button someone has to push after a new firefox is through the buildsys.

We're not talking about a small number of packages though.  caillon still has
to do updates for older Core releases, RHEL*, etc...  Perhaps somebody would
like to help Chris with rebuilding the dependant packages, since in this
merged world anybody else could as well.  Dumping it on Chris is not a viable
answer.

> That might delay the firefox update by an hour maybe. That's acceptable
> for the benefit afaics.

I doubt it would be only an hour.

> Ohh, and those packages that fail the rebuild simply don't get pushed --
> not nice, but happens.
>
> That would improve the situation quite a lot. Knowingly breaking the
> repo is not the answer.

Sure, to an extent.  But just waiting for all the other packages to catch up
before pushing an important security update that many could use without
noticing the broken deps is not a good solution.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora