Plan for tomorrow's (20070604) Release Engineering meeting

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Jun 4 09:59:23 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Below you will find a list of topics that we'd like to go over in the next
> RelEng meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Monday at 1700 UTC in
> #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:
>
> /topic RELENG-Meeting - Updates Policy - JesseKeating

I'm afraid I can't make it to the meeting as I have to work on 1900 hours CET,
so here is my 2 cents with regards to updates:

1) I like the general concept of updates-testing, I think it is usefull!

2) however I don't believe it is always usefull. There is a balance which needs
   to be struck between getting fixes for serious/crasher bugs to users asap and
   between doing QA.

   Unfortunately this cycle we haven't done a mass rebuild, but for now lets
   assume we would have. Then the build environment for an update should be very
   much like the one in which the original package was build. So the chance
   of introducing regressions through build environment changes should be small.
   (and in my experience is small in general anyways).

   Thus if the changes to a package themselves are well overseeable and the
   bug fixes is a grave bug, then I think that the package maintainer should be
   able to shorten or even skip the time a package sits in updates-testing

3) Thus I would like to advocate the addition of an automatically push to
   updates <stable> in X days drop downlist to the update submission form,
   with preferably the option to set it to 0 days. The default should be
   something like 5 days I think

4) I know the plan is to let a QA time do QA and push packages from
   updates-testing to updates, when a package passes QA. However I believe
   we still very much need the default push after X days, because I believe that
   the QA team may not be able to cope with the load of updates no that
   former extras goes through the same path. For example currently there are 129
   packages in updates-testing, which I think is too much for the QA team to
   handle in 5 workdays (but thats just my estimation, I might be wrong here).

Regards,

Hans