Bodhi can push updates with broken dependencies?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 14:36:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007 10:06:36 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Better run it, it takes only 10-15 minutes. And multilib packages should
> not break so often. In Extras they have lead to a few false positives when
> somebody released ABI incompatible updates, but no packager has ever
> complained about that, since usually it is obvious when a broken deps
> report refers to multilib breakage (e.g. i386.rpm in repo-x86_64).
>
> With koji it might even be possible to use some of the package Req/Prov
> details in the koji database. But until this is implemented and tested,
> we should reuse existing tools wherever it makes sense.

Unfortunately the existing tools don't mesh well with how we're producing
updates now.  bodhi adjusts package tags within koji and then we ask mash to
do a compose of that tag.  This is vastly different than how we did things
before and not easy to pause in the middle of it to give the pusher the
option to either allow a push to go through with broken deps (getting say a
firefox security fix out that may break a few ancillary packages, or a new
kernel for security out that may break a few kernel modules), or to roll back
the push and uncheck the things that will cause problems.

Last time I talked with somebody I don't think koji tracks everything that
would be necessary to use it's data for dep checking.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora