The FHS /usr song

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Mar 5 13:52:15 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> writes:

>> > The bottom line is: Don't %config/%config(noreplace) files under /usr.
>>
>> 1. When will you finally understand that rpm's %config has nothing to do
>> with configurating a system. %config only specifies rpm's behavior upon
>> handling of backups upon install.
>
> First of all, since I didn't even mention the word "configuration" in
> the above (fully quoted), please stop jumping to conclusions. Secondly
> if a packager specifies %config* in the specfile he assumes that
> something outside his control will regularily modify this file, so rpm
> needs to properly cater for that.
>
> And that's what's relevant *the assumption that this file has to be
> outside of the packager's control*. Now you tell me what kind of files
> these are. We don't usually %config* stuff under /var (in fcat we
> don't even mention 99% of the logfiles in package manifests), so that
> leaves us with ...? Yes, say it ... It's not that difficult ...

Files which are touched by rpm %scriptlets. In some cases
(e.g. fonts.dir), the relocating to /var would be a cleaner solution but
would require lot of work.  But e.g. for /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
and perhaps the icon-caches this would be just overkill.

Such files are handled best with %config and some %verify magic. %ghost
might work too but it is some kind of exotic rpm feature with sometimes
unexpected/unspecified behavior.

Enrico