A modest proposal: Have SIGS manage day-to-day comps additions with feedback from release-eng

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 20 19:20:52 UTC 2007

Le mardi 20 mars 2007 à 10:51 -0800, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :

> The real question is how do we do that functionally. There is one
> comps file right now. Do we
> give a lot of people the authority to poke around inside that file.
> I'm not sure I like that approach, I'd be afraid of inexperienced
> people accidentally breaking the comps syntax, unless we can find a
> way to toolize a syntax verifier as part of the check in process, like
> what Jesse has suggested to me in irc.

We already have a syntax verifier
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/comps/comps-cleanup.xsl?root=extras

(written because people kept breaking FE comps)

And we could easily do more if the people responsible for the various
upstreams (rpm, anaconda, yum) could bother looking at the existing
proposals :
- actual comps XML schema
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-November/msg00426.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-November/msg00443.html

- more radical stuff
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Comps/PackageGroupEnhancements

> Thoughts?

Will only happen if comps-using upstreams participate

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot