using mock for chroot builds. WAS [F8/multilib] {, /usr}/{, s}bin64

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue May 1 17:06:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 01:02:17PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Michael E Brown (Michael_E_Brown at dell.com) said:
> > Today (from memory, since it has been a while since I have done this):
> >
> >   $ mock init [ -r mockcfg ]
> >
> > This sets up the chroot. Then, you can copy files in and run either
> > 'mock chroot' or 'mock shell'
> >
> > Any suggestions on what you would require to make this process more
> > painless would be appreciated.
>
> I'm not sure. It just seems to compile a random tarball, you
> either have to have:
>
> - a (root) shell open both inside and outside of the chroot
>
> or
>
> - continually jumping out of the chroot to do mock rpm -Uvh, etc.
>
> I don't have any suggestions at the moment - having mock dig
> through autoconf scripts for dependencies to install doesn't
> seem right.

Clark and I (the mock maintainers, though Clark is a bit more active
than me presently) are on fedora-buildsys list, so if you have
suggestions, we would definitely like to hear them.

Off the top of my head, how about something like the following (mockup):

$ mock init [-r cfg]
$ mock copyin [-r cfg] mysoft.tar.gz
$ mock installdeps [-r cfg] --manual_deps foo bar baz
$ mock shell

# ./configure
# make

Where the last two would be specific to your software. The new commands
here are 'copyin' to get your tarball into the chroot, and the
'--manual' option for installdeps.

--
Michael