The big What-Why-How

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 23:34:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 11:31 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> So we need to specify who are we
> targeting.  If we are targeting new users to linux  then we need to make
> sure that every amount of information that they would need they have
> access to.  If we are targeting more experienced users they would need
> the information in a different way.  Developers well they need
> development information.
>
> I suppose it boils down to who is our target market in specifics.
> Demographics, pschographics, locations and purely from a marketing point
> of view we have to answer those questions first then we can create the
> information to help those users.

This is a two-way street.  We honestly have never 'targeted' new-to-
Linux and the Linux-curious, but they found us.  In the absence of
support, they formed their own support.  Now we come along and consider
if we are going to support those areas.

Is this a community distro or not?

Are end-users of any flavor part of the community?

We now have the job of marketing to all of these levels:

* Newbies
* Power newbies
* Linux experienced
* Developers

That's just the way it is.

Look what happened to us in the FDP when we mandated soup-to-nuts
toolchains?  People who didn't want to use those tools started using
other tools.  It's our job to embrace that direction and help make it
part of the overall experience.

So, the same things come to the developers.  Some developers, somewhere,
have to be interested in a smoother end-user experience and need to
solve these problems.  Perhaps the make-your-own-Fedora-based-distro
(MYOFBD?) tools are a good way to go.  Then, for example, LTSP can
design their own Fedora distro that they are willing to define updates
for so their end-users are not overwhelmed.

Better example -- grow an Ubunto-like project from *within* Fedora.  Let
those who think they know what such a distro would look like, build and
support it.  They can base it on Core and filter the updates to some
sane subset that Mom, Pop, and Johnny can all love.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide